Sunday, August 29, 2010

Pancake Sundays!

So, it's the last day before school starts. Waaaah.  My house decided that we would make a tradition of having Pancake Sundays every Sunday.  (Okay, maybe I decided that would happen. And maybe only one of my roommates chose to partake. But still. Pancake Sundays 4life.) Anyways, this morning we decided to kick off the tradition with a recipe from the How Sweet It Is blog: Apple Bacon Pancakes.

I know what you're thinking.  Probably the exact same thing my other two roommates were thinking.  But I've gotta be honest.  They were good.

The recipe was for making pancakes completely from scratch.  But we cheated a little.  Instead of making the batter ourselves, we pulled out the industrial sized bag of pancake mix hiding in the pantry and got to work.  From there, it was cinnamon, vanilla extract, grated apples, and bacon.  Grating apples? Yeah, we weren't so sure how to do that.  So basically we peeled them.  An apple's an apple, right?

I'm getting pretty decent at making bacon now.  Except I've realized it can be a little dangerous.  Note to self: flying bacon grease WILL burn you.

At first, we were a little unsure.  It was looking like there was not a huge chance of these turning out.  The batter was looking a little soupy, and the apple shavings and chunks of bacon didn't exactly make it look so appetizing.


But then we started cooking.  And to our surprise, they actually started to look like real pancakes.  And even better, they smelled pretty good too.



We had some friends over for breakfast who weren't so thrilled when they heard what we were having.  One friend, the first brave one to dig in, described the pancakes as tasting "different." Ouch.  I was nervous to try mine.  But while I agreed that it wasn't a taste you'd expect, I thought they were pretty good!  I admit it's a little weird to taste bits of bacon in your pancakes, but by the end of breakfast the taste had grown on pretty much everyone. Decision made: these pancakes are gooooood. Especially swimming in butter and maple syrup.  First Pancake Sunday = success!

No comments:

Post a Comment